Wednesday, December 12, 2012

The Depleted Soul

Nothing like the hustle and bustle of life: exercising for fitness, eating 'healthy', cooking for the family, spending time with children, making time for significant others, obligations to responsibilities and work, while at the same time wanting to make time for yourself. Then you see these dreamy vacation advertisements ensuring people that there is 'more to life' than what is. 

Without a doubt this is a success driven society we live in today, everyone is always on the 'go go go', focused on technology, eyes centered on miniature screens filled with minor mumble jumble "lol", "haha", "i'll be there soon", agenda's packed with appointments, and news filled with tragedies, politics, and worries. 

Life will never stop, and responsibilities are inevitable but the question is:

when will we ever stop, rest, and be present?

      I am one of those life's driven people, I set high standards for myself and wish to accomplish a chalk full of things on my bucket list, and don't get me wrong they're great and it's necessary and a part of life to have goals and to succeed. Yet when was the last time you went to a party with friends without pulling out your phone to text or talk to others? When was the last time you took a break from work without worrying about money? The latter point was huge for me. Whenever having time off from work I would always pick up extra hours to ensure made a certain minimum, I was exhausted without actually realizing it. Extra money was nice but the toll my body took from fatigue was overwhelming in all parts, internally, physically, and mentally. It was unsafe for patients and close ones to be around me because it created this ball of negativity.

I know my limits. 

I took a one week minor vacation, not necessarily going anywhere but being present where I am. Resting because it was needed, and sleeping because I was so sleep deprived. No overly intense work outs, catching up with friends, doing things I've wanted to do and haven't done in a long time.

Life is filled with personal obligations and burdens of the world but sometimes you need to know your limits and to rest when necessary. Being depleted won't make you efficient in work or family life.

No comments:

Post a Comment